Opera Holland Park is committed to respecting and protecting your personal information. We aim to be as transparent as possible about what information we hold about you and how we use it.
The text below describes the ways in which we collect information from you, the ways we use it and how we protect it. It should be read in conjunction with the other terms and conditions.
2. About Opera Holland Park
Opera Holland Park is a registered charity (number 1096273) located at 37 Pembroke Road, London W8 6PW. Opera Holland Park is registered as a Data Controller under the Data Protection Act 1998. Further information can be found on the ICO website. If you have any other questions about this policy, you can email us at email@example.com.
This policy was last updated on 12 October 2017 and may be subject to change according to the changing needs of the organisation.
3. What data do we collect from you?
Depending on the reason for interacting with us, we may collect and hold the following information about you:
- Contact details including email and postal addresses, telephone number
- Demographic information including age and gender
- Bank and account details for operational purposes only
- Transaction and order details
- Contact preferences
- Access requirements
- Gift Aid preferences
- Interests and occupation, when acquired from publicly-available information (please see section 7 on Fundraising)
- Other information relevant to customer surveys, feedback forms, focus groups and offers
You have the right to obtain from us an electronic or paper copy of all user data concerning yourself by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to Opera Holland Park, 37 Pembroke Road, London W8 6PW. If you decide not to use our services any further and notify us either in writing or by email as mentioned above, we shall destroy any retained Personal Information apart from anything which we may need to keep for legal reasons. This may include: back-dated gift aid claims and financial records for which we are legally obliged to keep for six years.
4. When do we collect ‘Personal Information’?
We collect and retain Personal Information if you provide this information when using one of the services available on our website, in person or over the telephone. We use this information to help us give you the best possible experience at Opera Holland Park. This includes:
- Purchasing tickets or memberships
- Posting a message on our Ticket Exchange
- Entering competitions, participating in audience surveys or focus groups
- Subscribing to our newsletters
- Applying for our free ticket scheme for older and younger audiences
- Emailing a member of our team, trustee or a volunteer
- Enquiring to become, or acting as, a volunteer
We also collect and use certain types of information about people with whom we deal with in order to operate. These include current, past and prospective employees, suppliers, clients/customers, donors and others with whom we communicate. It may include any expression of opinion about a living individual or any indication of our intentions about that individual. This data can sometimes comprise personal data about individuals, to which UK data protection laws apply.
5. How do we use this information?
Personal Information must be dealt with properly however it is collected, recorded and used – whether on paper, in a computer, or recorded on other material – and there are safeguards to ensure this in the Data Protection Act 1998. These terms and conditions and our data protection policy describe Opera Holland Park’s approach to fulfilling its obligations under data protection laws.
Personal Information will be held securely on our system, and will be used for operational purposes only. The information you provide may be used in the following ways:
1. to fulfil sales, donations and purchases (including setting up direct debits)
2. for research and fundraising purposes (please see section 7 on Fundraising)
3. to improve our services and content and to better understand the history of your relationship with us (i.e. performances and events you have attended, previous correspondence and/or complaints)
4. access requirements and other personal preferences (for example preferred seats in our venue)
5. to communicate with you about updates or changes to our services, supporter schemes or to fulfil/complete a purchase, promotion, class, membership or donation;
6. to invite you to participate in surveys or research;
7. for marketing purposes where you have specifically consented to receive communications from us (more information can be found in section 6 on Marketing)
Opera Holland Park may make Personal Information available across departments, either for the fulfilment of our services, or to enable them to provide you with information about products or services which they believe you may be interested in. We will never share any data with individuals or companies outside of the organisation.
From time to time Opera Holland Park may wish to send you information about other services, programmes or events which we offer and believe you may be interested in. On rare occasions, this information may include events or updates about partnering organisations sent on their behalf. If you decide now, or at any later time, that you do not wish to receive marketing information from OHP, please inform us by email at email@example.com. Alternatively, you can opt out of or unsubscribe to marketing emails at any time. You may also update your contact preferences at any time. It is your choice whether you want to receive information about our upcoming events, performances or shows, how you can get involved and your personal contact preferences.
In complying with the legal requirements, we will ensure that:
- The proposed recipients of our marketing information (including e-communications and postal marketing) have always given their prior consent to receive the information as well as contact preferences. This information is held securely on our database.
- Even after prior consent has been given, that the recipients of our marketing information are provided with the option to opt-out of further receipt of marketing information or update what information they would like to receive at any time. However, we may retain your details on a Suppression List to help ensure that we do not continue to contact you.
- There is an expiry date for all consent given. We will update and refresh all consent given every 8 years, in line with the circle of programming here at OHP.
- All consent given by young people will be handled sensitively and all efforts will be made to ensure that consent given by those under the age of 18 has been approved by a relevant parent or guardian (see section 8)
From time to time, we may share your information with trusted service providers such as mailing houses who are authorised to act on our behalf.
In order to understand whether there is a shared interest or connection with individuals before we contact them for fundraising purposes we carry out research about our current and prospective supporters so that we can provide the best experience possible and suggest relevant opportunities to get closer to and support our work. As part of this we may use publicly available data about you (for example, from Companies House, Charity Commission, media sources, external websites and LinkedIn to create a profile of your interests and preferences.
To do this, we use the information that you provide. We may also:
- break down the information we hold on our database (for example, we might send information to a specific group of people who live in the same area);
- analyse donations already made to Opera Holland Park; and
- use publicly available data about you (for example, from LinkedIn, Companies House, Charity Commission and legitimate media sources to create a profile of your interests and preferences.
At times, we may collect and use Personal Information on the basis of ‘Legitimate Interest’. When we believe we have a legitimate organisational interest in using your personal information to contact you, respond to you, or process your donation in line with our values, we will process your data in this manner whilst making sure there is no overriding prejudice that will negatively affect you. We may, for example, send you service communications confirming a direct debit instruction or when you request to receive benefits as part of a membership scheme. We also ensure we have the necessary internal procedures in place to protect our ethical standards, organisational security or risk of fraud.
8. Young People
If you are under 18, please ensure that you obtain your parent/guardian’s consent beforehand whenever you provide Personal Information. This includes when applying or giving feedback on our free tickets for young people scheme.
Our free tickets for young people scheme requests specific information about individuals often under the age of 18. Opera Holland Park makes all necessary precautions to check that anything received by those under the age of 18 is given with the consent of the parent/guardian. We also record the ages of patrons under the age of 18 and, when the child reaches the age of 18, we will update all their related Personal Information including marketing preferences.
If you have contacted us to express interest in becoming a volunteer, we reserve the right to pass on this information to the relevant staff members or volunteers in order to operate.
We require all volunteers to sign a confidentiality agreement before undertaking work with us.
10. Protecting your Personal Information
Personal Information must be handled properly under the Data Protection Act 1998 (‘the DPA’). The Act regulates the way that we handle Personal Information that we collect in the course of carrying out our functions and gives certain rights to people whose Personal Information we may hold.
We are registered with the Information Commissioner to process personal data and are named as a data controller under the register kept by the Information Commissioner in accordance with section 19 of the DPA.
All personal ‘user data’ is:
Stored in secured networks and only accessible by a limited number of staff and volunteers with access rights according to how they need to access and process such data. All staff and volunteers with access are trained to properly handle such data in order to keep the information secure and confidential (see the following section for more information).
Obtained only for one or more specified and lawful purposes
Adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purpose or purposes for which they have been collected;
- Accurate and, where necessary, kept up to date;
- Kept for as long as is required to operate the service you have signed up for, and in accordance with legal requirements and tax and accounting rules.
- Processed in accordance with the rights of data subjects under the Act;
- Accessed by employees or trustees of the organisation. We will never share data with individuals or companies outside of the organisation.
- Not transferred to a country or territory outside the European Economic Area unless that country or territory ensures an adequate level of protection for the rights and freedom of data subjects in relation to the processing of personal data.
- Appropriate technical and organisational measures shall be taken against unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal data and against accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal data;
We will ensure that:
- Everyone managing and handling personal information understands that they are responsible for following good data protection practice;
- There is someone with specific responsibility for data protection in the organisation. The designated Data Protection Officer at Opera Holland Park is the Head of Finance and Resources, Pradip Rajah (Pradip.firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Staff who handle Personal Information are appropriately supervised and trained;
- Methods of handling Personal Information are regularly assessed and evaluated;
- Any disclosure of personal data will be in compliance with approved procedures;
- We take all necessary steps to ensure that personal data is kept secure at all times against unauthorised or unlawful loss or disclosure;
Opera Holland Park will not sell, rent, trade or distribute your personal information to third parties unless we have your prior permission or are required by law to do so. We may sometimes share your information with trusted service providers (e.g. mailing houses) who are authorised to act on our behalf.
We may update the terms of this policy at any time, so please do check it from time to time. We will notify you about significant changes in the way we treat personal information by sending a notice to the primary email address you have provided to us or by placing a prominent notice on our website(s). By continuing to use our website you will be deemed to have accepted such changes.
12. How can I change or access the information you hold about me?
The accuracy of your Personal Information is important to us – please let us know if your contact details, preferences or other Personal Information changes. If you would like to update or request all of the Personal Information we hold about you under the Data Protection Act 1998, please email email@example.com or write to us at:
Opera Holland Park
37 Pembroke Road
London W8 6PW
You can find out more about the Data Protection Act 1998 on the Information Commissioner’s website.